Fuel testing is the only way to accurately verify fuel quality. There are many types of field tests and equipment available to identify problems. Field testing with instant or near instant results can provide a quick and responsive method for monitoring fuel quality. There are value tests available to measure water in ppm, acid number, microbial contamination and ethanol presence. There is also portable equipment designed to measure particulate contamination, water content, octane and cetane. The downside to the equipment is the cost.
- Acid Number, Ethanol Presence and Water detections test kits are available that provide results within ten minutes for under $20.
- Microbial Test kits take 48-72 hours to culture but cost less than $20. There are instant result test kits but they are much more expensive, priced over $175.
- Particulate Counters are available to test fuel inline while filtering or portably from sample bottles. Results are instant and ISO certifiable for those critical applications.
- Relative Humidity Sensors are also an option on the particle counters. They measure water in fuel.
- Octane and Cetane Test Equipment are available but expensive to own.
- Visual sampling is very important. Taking good bottom samples on a weekly basis can provide valuable information on what is taking place inside the tank.
Check out Dixon’s Online Store to order your supply of field fuel testing kits. They are simple to use and inexpensive. Consider the problem with bad fuel. By simply testing your fuel you can avoid major expenses.